Thursday, November 6, 2014

Suite evening

Sometimes you do something that you really don't care one way or the other to do; like where to go eat, or what to watch on TV. That's how I felt a few weeks ago. But first, a bit of background.
A few months ago, I met an online friend at a festival. We hit it off and talked for a couple hours about anything and everything. One of those 'thing's was music and while she was a big fan of a band fronted by a guy named Eddie, I knew of the group but had no opinion. I couldn't name a song of theirs (rather amazing for me). I felt so uncool. Even so, she said that she had an extra ticket to their upcoming concert in October and would I like to go and for me to think about it. We parted ways and in the following weeks, I thought about it.

It would be cool to go and maybe find out I love their music but did I want to buy the extra ticket for a concert that I would possible find  boring or horrible? I waffled like a saw being used as a musical instrument. I never gave her an answer but in my mind, came to the conclusion that my friend would find someone else who would really LOVE the band and be super excited to go.

A few days before the concert, she was on social media asking if anyone was interested. She didn't want to go alone and she didn't want to miss it either as she had never been to one of their concerts before. I kept thinking about it and 5 hours before the show, I contacted her to ask if the ticket was still available. It was and so I stated getting ready for the show. My sweet husband drove me to the arena, I found my friend, and we went inside. I knew the seats were behind the stage but they were in a suite(how cool was that?) and that was one of the reasons I thought it would be a fun experience to go. We stopped to buy a drink; another concert first for me. My waytooexpensive Bailey's on the rocks was wonderful to sip as we walked halfway around the arena to our seats. At least, I thought that was where we were going. It turns out my friend used to work at the arena and she was in search of some employees that she knew. We found them and there were lots of smiles and hugs. After the pleasantries, she asked if we could be allowed in to this section of suites to look for a friend who she was sure was here and probably in the local newspaper's suite for the one for a local radio station. We were allowed in! We took a peek into each suite as we walked by. Soon she saw someone and we entered a suite. It was indeed a friend of hers but not the one she was looking for. I stayed in the background as they hugged. I was introduced but couldn't remember her name 2 seconds later. In the meantime, a well-built, buff guy came up to my friend and they hugged, he put his arm possessively around the other gal and we were introduced. I promptly forgot his name too. Neither of them had seen this other mutual friend there yet but we were welcome to hang with them if we couldn't find this mythical friend. We continued checking out suites when my friend told me that the people I had just met were an old friend of hers and the guy was her husband -- a professional hockey player for the local team. Really, a local celeb of sorts. I wished I would've remembered their names! We  never found the friend so we went back to the other suite to rejoin the local celeb and their beautiful friends. A few more hockey playing buddies were there as well. I wonder who exactly they were...

The concert started and I am sorry to admit that I didn't know a single song they performed during the 2-`/2 hour concert save for the cover of John Lennon's "Imagine" and Neil Young's "Rocking In The Free World". I wasn't super impressed by the group as a whole. The lead singer was fantastic and the guitarist had phenomenal skills. The videography on the Jumbo-tron screens  was creative & wonderful to watch and the stage lighting and effects were pretty incredible too. So here I was, in a suite, listening to a concert, drink in hand, free food behind me (although I took none of  it) and hanging with professional athletes. I had no idea that this was even on my bucket list but I could certainly cross it off the list now!

The concert ended and as we waited for my husband to come get me, talked some more and had someone take a couple pictures of the two of us. On the way home, we made a late-night stop at the local Taco Bell and it was then that I realized that my Cinderella evening had come to an end; except for the memories of a night totally out of my normal world.

No comments:

Post a Comment